Olde Towne Alexandria

Annie Beatrice Bailey Rose

Portrait of Annie B. RoseBorn January 7, 1893, Mrs. Rose devoted her life toward serving her community, improving housing opportunities and home nursing services for the elderly and educating the youth of Alexandria about black history and slavery.

A daughter of a slave herself, Mrs. Rose left behind a tremendous legacy after her death in 1989.  Known as “Miss Annie” and once called the Grande Dame of black history in Alexandria, Mrs. Rose was the founder of the Alexandria Society for the preservation of Black Heritage and a recipient of the National Caucus and Center on Black Aged living legend award.  In the 62 years she lived in Alexandria, Mrs. Rose opened the Black History Resources Center, lectured on black history in the Alexandria schools, helped organize people for the March on Washington, became the first black woman president of the Alexandria Women’s Civic Association, founded the Alexandria Commission on Aging, served on the Urban League Board and played the organ for Ebenezer Baptist Church.

In the field again, Mrs. Rose was a founding member of Senior Citizens Employment and Services and also served in RSVP-the Retired Senior Volunteer Project as well as the Alexandria Red Cross, the Council of Church Women United and Hopkins House.  She worked hard to help improve home nursing services for the elderly in Alexandria.  

At the time of her death, Mrs. Rose was the recipient of more than 30 awards for local and national groups in recognition of her life of activism and education.  She was further honored posthumously by the Alexandria City Council and ARHA by rededicating the Pendleton House as the Annie B. Rose House.   

For more information about Annie B. Rose please visit the Alexandria Black History Museum.